Saturday, March 29, 2014

Summer 2014: Nova Scotia, Here We Come!

March seems to be going out like a lion, which means there's a snowstorm in the forecast for the next few days.  And a friend had a comment last week that made a lot of sense, that at this time in the semester, our students generally get antsy with spring fever.  But instead of the cheerful-distracted that they usually are at this time of year, with four weeks to go until the end of the semester, they're angry-distracted.  They're not the only ones.  I don't generally complain about winter, because I'm a Minnesotan and that's half our identity, but this one started early, has remained brutal, and I'm just tired of it.


And so I'm antsy to get the Scamp out of storage.  I think it's going to happen in three weeks, during Holy Week, when we have some time off.  I'll pick it up and drive it to Minneapolis and leave it in my parents' driveway.  Dad and I are going to make some new cupboard doors (out of real wood) and I have some other plans.

I made the decision (with the advice of my brilliant sisters) to take this trip this summer, regardless of my employment prospects for fall.  I didn't fight too hard.  I've wanted to do this trip for a while--and since it's the focus of my next book, I need to get a move on, so I can write it.  So I clicked on the requisite boxes and this week AAA delivered presents to my mailbox.

Today, I put the map up on the door, so Maeve can't eat it, and I'm starting to highlight routes.  Once I get that preliminary info on the map, then I'll add some arrow-shaped post-it notes, with more information.  I haven't taken a trip like this before and the more information I have--and have at my fingertips in the planning--the better.  I'm also making plans for what actual cooking in the Scamp will look like, because I haven't needed to do more than a couple of nights at a time.  And as AAA's Tour Book tells me, I'm looking at mid-60s for high temperatures, so there might not be that many comfortable nights by the fire--especially if Winter keeps such a hold on Spring.


In the scheme of things, I'm also contemplating my awning, which I never use because I can't get it set up by myself.  I like having an awning, so I've been starting to look for an alternative, and I'm leaning towards a canopy, like this Quik Shade, but I need to do some more research.  Seems like a waste not to use the awning that's actually attached to my Scamp, but I can't do it.

If you've got any tips on the Maritimes (or on canopies), I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment