Thursday, May 3, 2012

Baby's Back Home!

Let the 2012 Scamping Season begin!

Well, sort of.  Picked up the Scamp this morning from where it was stored about twenty miles west of Lincoln--and this is the kind of thing that just makes me love my life.  The very nice couple who let me put the Scamp on their property was the high school friend of my dad's former secretary.  We had a massively awesome thunderstorm last night--though it sounds like Milford got it worse than we did (maybe twice as much rain?), so driving out there was pretty muddy and I needed to put the Jeep in four-wheel-drive to feel like I had any traction on the dirt (mud) road.

When I got to their farm, the Scamp looked like it had been under a tree during a good storm, covered in leaves and dirt.  Poor baby.  And the tires were three inches deep in mud.  Wasn't terribly worried, because I have faith in the four-wheel-drive.  Maybe too much faith, but it hasn't let me down yet.  The only major problem was that when I hooked up the electrical, nothing happened--no turn signals, no brake lights, no lights on the trailer.  Nothing we tried got them to work, so I drove back to Lincoln without lights on the trailer.  I was not a fan of this prospect, but what were the alternatives?

My friend Aubrey went with me, because we haven't had a chance to catch up here at the end of the semester, so it was nice to have somebody to talk to on the way and back.  (And it was nice to see that the time it takes me to get comfortable pulling the Scamp has decreased every spring when I've picked it up.)  But we drove right to Leach Campers at 27th and Cornhusker--and I walked in, talked to the Service people, told them my problem.  They said they were really busy, really backed up, but they came right out and looked at the electrical anyway.  Turned out that it was a connector or something on the Jeep that had corroded and it looked pretty easy peasy for the guy to replace it.  And even better, they didn't charge me for it.  So:  if you're in Lincoln and need a camper place, stop by Leach.  They were awesome.

My plan is to head Up North tomorrow, leaving before the sun gets up.  So I've been packing up the Jeep, putting my bike in the Scamp.  Thank goodness the rain has passed.  So far, the cats don't think anything is amiss, which is good, because when they start getting freaked out about me leaving, life gets annoying (even if they're going with, which they are).

And then I'm loading stuff into the car and the camper and here comes crawling a spider down the front window.  Black, hairy, about the size of my thumbnail, gray and black legs, freaky as hell.  Squish.  It didn't occur to me until later that squishing it hampered its identification, but such is life.  So, my plan for the cats and me to sleep in the Scamp in my parents' driveway tomorrow night is likewise squished. Nobody is going to sleep in there until I've thoroughly fumigated and cleaned it.  Not happening.    The cats are just going to have to deal with my parents' puppy.  As it stands right now, I have my cadre of entomologist friends on Facebook trying to help me identify it--which has now turned from serious to ridiculous--but it doesn't really matter.  It's not getting slept in till it gets cleaned.  But I do have the best friends in the world.

But I'm still really excited to have the Scamp hitched to my Jeep.  There are few things in the world that make me as happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment