Friday, May 7, 2010

Serious Annoyance

On one hand, if I think really hard, I could convince myself that I'm grateful. Because if I hadn't suffered some leaks on the Maiden Voyage, I would never have had to learn how to fix them. Duct tape fixed those particular leaks, but I soon got a crash course in how to use silicone. I sealed up all the windows--twice. When the front window was still leaking, I caulked up the inside edge between the window and the rubber, not just the outside. All of the leaks were fixed after all of that.

Except for one. The window that's at the foot of my bed.

Last fall, before I put the Scamp into storage, a couple of friends who are also campers came over to help me try to solve the problem. Our conclusion was that the ducts (no relation to the duct tape) in the window itself were clogged and the water had nowhere else to go but down the channel that the window sits in--some of the water would go outside and some would go inside. We cleaned out the ducts as best we could, but it seems like I'm going to have to do some more of it.

Tonight we had a wonderful series of thunderstorms. The Weather Channel promised lovely colors of radar--and for the most part, they delivered, for the first time in a couple of weeks. But knowing that the Scamp has had issues with hard rain in the past, I went out there to check on it. Small rains don't seem to trouble that window anymore. It's the hard rains. And, as I suspected, but hoped not to find, the end of my bed--freshly made with newly washed bedding--was wet. Not soaking, like has happened in the past, but enough to know that my window problem hasn't been solved.

So it looks like I'm going to be spending some quality time with a wire and that window in the near future. I guess it could always be worse. I wasn't sleeping in the bed at the time. But on the bright side, where else in my life would I have had to learn how to caulk a window properly? (That may be overly optimistic, even for me, but there comes a point in your life when the alternative and being pissed off about things isn't going to solve anything or make you feel better.) Part of what I love about this whole Scamping thing is learning things I would have never even considered otherwise. Build a fire in the rain? Breaking off a jack? Leaky window? Bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. I don't mean to interrupt your writing flow -- which I very much enjoy -- with a "forum" type of comment, but could it be that the rubber seals around the windows have dried up and need to be replaced, or even that the entire window might be a candidate for replacement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn, I'm a serious amateur at this, so I welcome any of these kind of comments. Yes, it's possible that it's the seals, and if my digging out the ducts doesn't help, I'm going to take it to the Scamp factory and see what they can do about it. My suspicion is that the work my friends and I did last summer was on the right track, because the leaking is definitely not as bad as it was before we did that. And the caulking I did around the rest of the windows completely solved them leaking. But thanks for the suggestion--I'll definitely keep an eye out for seal fatigue. That might indeed be the problem.

    ReplyDelete