Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How Much Do I Love My Scamp? Let Me Count the Ways...

I'm up to $250 reasons why I love my Scamp. Today, I left the house to go to the office and I turned on my right blinker and it stuck there, making the blinker noise in fast motion. I turned it off, then turned on the left blinker and that worked fine, but when I tried the right again, it got stuck again. I turned off the engine completely and that seemed to reset everything, so I didn't think anything more of it. I came home at noon, took a nap, then intended to continue packing, but ran out of packing tape. So I hopped in the Jeep and the right blinker was still on. I simmered at it for a minute, then called the mechanic, and he could see me right away, so I went right over.

After sitting in the waiting room for an hour and a half (with a cell phone battery dying down to nothing, a nearly-dead iPod, and no book), the mechanic tells me that some of the wiring had come in contact with the exhaust system and shorted. Okay. Something about the Jeep being wired to be towed behind something (like a Class A) and then last summer, I had it wired to a 7-pin to tow the Scamp--and I wondered if it was the wiring I had done last summer that was the problem and the mechanic said yes. I wondered, because last summer (and I had this done at a RV place) when I picked up the Jeep after having the wiring done, it was backwards: I would turn on the right blinker and the left blinker on the Scamp would come on. So if they weren't paying enough attention to get that right, what else did they mess up?

The bottom line is that I have to have the whole freaking thing rewired, because not doing it would potentially cause massive problems down the road (no pun intended). So that's what I'm doing tomorrow. As if I don't have other things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment