Saturday, April 17, 2010

Adventures in Scamping: The Beginning

At its heart, Adventures in Scamping is a personal philosophy that has come out of a dream to travel in this tiny camper. Live lightly, but live well. Good ideas come in small packages. One thing always leads to another and there is no such thing as a wrong turn. All of it feeds the writing.

I'm about to make a complete left turn in my life, leaving a full-time job teaching college composition to start a PhD program in a state I've only seen through the passenger windows of the Blazer we used to tow our pop-up camper when we were kids. I'm going there to study nonfiction and environmental literature--and I'm excited for how a new place, new people, new landscape, and a new culture will show up in my own essays. I don't know where I'll go from here, but that's part of the fun.

So, here begins the adventure: I picked up the Scamp from winter storage last weekend, I'm starting to pack up my apartment, and I'm surfing the internet for campgrounds. I've just gotten off the phone with my family and already I've got two Scamping trips planned for the summer. What I find along the way will show up on this blog: places, people, experiences, and stories. Lots of things can be found here, things that fall into this new Adventures in Scamping philosophy I'm developing.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. There was that summer after the '71 California quake when my parents and I sold everything and hit the road in the camper looking for a new home. I loved it. Except for the part where my mother was menopausal and seemed to want to murder my father for snoring and just about everything else he did or didn't do. Now I know about HRT, more or less safe ways to get those levels of hormones needed -- apparently that's working okay. My own husband is alive and well and snores and still likes me -- and best of all, now I have Adventures in Scamping to read. Think I'll call it my Camping Replacement Therapy. Brava, Karen! Your fan, Dawn

    ReplyDelete